Friday, September 3, 2010

Hows the set of your sail?

Without wind, a sailboat cannot fulfill its purpose. It can only drift aimlessly with the currents and in all likelihood will end up broken on a rock. Without the active leading of the Holy Spirit, a human being cannot fulfill her purpose. She can only drift aimlessly with the currents and in all likehood will end up broken on a rock.

That's why we were given two very important, but frequently ignored, commandments in the New Testament: "Grieve not the Spirit," and "Quench not the Spirit." It's amazing. A sailor cannot quench the wind or grieve the wind. (But why would he want to?) However, we can quench and/or grieve the Holy Spirit. The Spirit is a Person, the third person in the Godhead.

He longs to fill our sails with His Presence and His power. He wants to lead us and direct us daily. But we can push Him away -- quench the voice of His leading. We can also make Him sad -- bring grief to His heart.

Apostle Paul told us not to do either of those things. Don't quench the Spirit and don't grieve Him.

Just like turning down an ipod, or deleting a message on facebook, or ignoring a friend, we can quench our contact with the Spirit. And that always makes the lover of our soul very sad.

Just for today, why not say: "Holy Spirit speak to me and I will listen and obey You today, even if my obedience to You hurts my pride, or makes me uncomfortable, or causes people to mock me, or gets me in trouble. I'm so sorry that I have turned down Your voice and made You sad. Help me this day, to do what you say and live in Your way, not mine!"

By Steve Simms

No comments:

Post a Comment